Like it? Share this...
Share on facebookFacebook
Share on twitterTwitter
Share on pinterestPinterest
Share on whatsappWhatsApp
Share on emailEmail
Royal visits, Headland riots & Harry Colt’s design. Established since 1890 these events have shaped the course and club into what it is today. One of Cornwalls finest.
A revered Harry Colt designed course built in 1890.
Not only a landmark of natural beauty, Newquay’s iconic Links also possesses a colourful and exciting history that has made it the prestigious club that it is today. The location of Newquay’s Golf Links is perhaps one of the finest in the world, along the whole length of the wonderful stretch of sand known as Fistral Beach.
Newquay Golf Club was formed in 1890 with the intent of creating Cornwall’s finest golf course alongside the wonderful stretch of Fistral Beach. The original plans for the land were to build a housing estate where the Golf Club now lies, with three parallel roads running between Tower Road and the sea. The Headland Riots of 1887 prevented this, meaning the planned development came to a halt and the Links were spared.
Since the election of the club’s first president, Mr H F Whitefield in 1890, the club has seen considerable developments. In 1908, the club obtained a new lease from the Treffry Estate expanding the club’s grounds further to the 6000 yards that it is today and introducing the 11th and 12th fairways. Thanks to Colt’s revolutionary designs, the club has always prided itself on its modern course planning techniques. Over the years, no expense has been spared to make the course the best it can possibly be. In the hottest summers or the coldest winters, the velvety grass of the putting greens will still spring beneath your feet.
A mansion called ‘The Tower’ was built for the Molesworth family in 1835, it included a castellated tower and a private chapel as the family were devout Roman Catholics. The home was often rented to wealthy families when the Molesworth family were in their inland home. The Tower was eventually sold to the Treffry estate in 1906, where the Golf Club purchased the property freehold. The Tower is known today as our Club House.
Newquay Golf Club has also been graced with its fair share of Royal visits. Their Royal Highnesses the Prince of Wales and Prince Albert (later to become King George VI) spent many enjoyable golfing holidays at Newquay from 1911 onwards and were honorary life members of the club.
To this day, the club offers plenty of variety for members, family and friends that pay it a visit. Throughout the years, the traditions have been carried through, making Newquay Golf Club a place of many memories and where loyal club members have shared countless experiences.